What's new

Do you need to be good at mathematics in order to learn programming?

Programming involves a lot more logic, modelling than the mathematics aspect so it is more dependent on your ability to solve problems. But sure having knowledge is of advantage.

Lots of people say you need to be very good at mathematics in order to be also good at programming? Is that completely true or just partially? Obviously you need to know some basics of mathematics at least but do you need to be very good at math?
I guess the question go out for the programmers in the house to enlighten us on this particular thread. I hope we all waiting to learn from the programmers in the house as well.

Lots of people say you need to be very good at mathematics in order to be also good at programming? Is that completely true or just partially? Obviously you need to know some basics of mathematics at least but do you need to be very good at math?
I'm a computer science student, with lot of hate for mathematics. But I'm good in programming. For me, it is not necessary to be good in mathematics to learn programming better. But it demands sharp minds.

Hmm, i don't think learning mathematics and becoming an expert mathematician can offer the better chance of becoming an experienced programmer. One needs technical know-how skills and better understanding of how coding works to adapt quickly around programming, and being specific on a particular programming language to be excellent on such field.

Mathematics would definitely give you an edge if you decide to learn programming but that wouldn't say that those that didn't learn maths wouldn't stand a Chance, they would just have to work harder.

I am doing bachelors in computer science , you don't need to be best in maths . But what you need to consider is in order to master it you need practice it a lot just like to master mathematics.
yes I am not good at maths but I am a master's in computer science, I think this is not necessary to be good at math.I think it is your choice to choose the subject with your intrust. Everyone needs practice all over the learning programs.

It depends greatly on the arterial which is necessary to make you good at the job. cut alot of people who have tested and testify or are into programming and they are doing well or good. they needs for mathematics is very less compared to other applications of logic. so it is not most but good to have knowledge about it.

If you want to get a degree in programming, than yes. The college I attended, required I take many math related classes, including some that I felt wasn't even needed. But, in order to get the computer science major (which programming is a part of), I needed to take well over 10 match courses throughout my college career.

Wasn't going to do that, as I don't want to be stuck learning for 7 years or so.

You don't have to be a mathematics guru to be good at programming, although there are algorithms involved in programming, having the basic knowledge would be sufficient

To be able to do a good prorgamme you need some little knowledge of mathmatics,at least that will help you in some of the symbols and caculations involved while doing a programme,But that does'nt mean you can't programme,but some basic knowledge is required.

I am not in coding but some of my dear ones are, and they all are very good mathmeticians. I have an impression the better you are good at math, you understand coding better and with various points of view. I agree when someone says that you need to be good at language skills rather than maths. This is all about how the brain works on learning and capturing ideas. But I still believe that a programmer good at maths does it better, especially if he has good reasoning power.

You do not need to be good in maths but you will need basic mathematical knowledge. I know a guy back in secondary school with no maths iq but is a programmer now.

I do not know much about computer programming. However, If programming requires you to have some basic maths skills, then I believe that you would need to be good at maths to some extent.

You can be good even without been good at mathematics if you can understand it and practice it more often but been good at mathematics will be an advantage to you.

It is far beyond knowing mathematics to be a good programmer but it requires calculations to be able to program well. Because in programming it requires adding and subtituting of variables

Knowing mathematics in the school is really good so that learning programming you will not find it so difficult when it come to learning a programming.

Programming is open to anyone who's willing to learn. You don't have to be a mathematics gurru to go into programming. I have friends that majored in biochemistry

You need be at least average in mathematics. There’re some symbols in basic programming which are mathematical symbols. You need to know what they means and when to use them. Also you need to have knowledge of calculus(differential equations and integral)

Newest Directory Listings

momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
ExplorerEvan
Forums
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Clicks
Views
Comments
Reviews
ForumExplorers.com is a free discussion board with topics and conversations for everyone. Camp, chill, and cook s'mores with forum friends. We would love to see you!
Back