What's new

Do you ever do a vote on choosing a site name?

Grant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Oct 27, 2020
USD
$134.3000USD
Biznotes
Do you ever do a vote when it comes to choosing a new sites name? Maybe you allow your community to decide on the sites name from a set of choices, or you let your community decide on their own name and vote for it accordingly. Have you ever done something like this in order to pick a name for a new website? If not, would you?

I honestly can not say that I have ever thought about asking the community to choose a site name. Any time I have opened a new site I have always decided on the name myself and have been very happy with it. I feel if I was to open a site though and I really couldn't think of a name for the site, I would take it to the community to decide on a name or throw some ideas around for a name so that we could choose ones we like best and vote on them. That is a really awesome idea though if you do not have any ideas yourself for a name, the community would feel involved as well which is a plus.

I honestly can not say that I have ever thought about asking the community to choose a site name. Any time I have opened a new site I have always decided on the name myself and have been very happy with it. I feel if I was to open a site though and I really couldn't think of a name for the site, I would take it to the community to decide on a name or throw some ideas around for a name so that we could choose ones we like best and vote on them. That is a really awesome idea though if you do not have any ideas yourself for a name, the community would feel involved as well which is a plus.
This is very hard to choose a site name most we know that most of site names and ideas where choosen so it could be by the chance that name choosen reflects to another website name that has similar name then you may be obliged to rechange it.

When I register a domain name, it is my own decision. My choice of domain name is based on a lot of factors such as the price I have to pay, the extension I get, the keyword on the domain, etc. I have never done voting for my domain name.

Not something I have done. I mean if I was setting up a community site for people that I knew would be a major part of it, I would allow them to choose the name but I have never been in a position like this. I choose my domains based on niche and good traffic words.

Not something I have done. I mean if I was setting up a community site for people that I knew would be a major part of it, I would allow them to choose the name but I have never been in a position like this. I choose my domains based on niche and good traffic words.
Sometimes such a poll appears on a website but if the name is bad and doesn't add value to the website itself but if it is a word name doesn't make any sense or similar to another website.

It's hard to seek help from our community in choosing a site name, however I'll ask peeps from my close circle for suggestions.

I think the name comes first, and the community comes second. How can I ask a community to choose a name for their forum when I need a name and domain to attract users to my site in the first place?

Maybe if you had an existing social media or Discord community that you were looking to build a site for, this could work. I've never tried something like that, but I wouldn't be opposed to that idea in the future. Most of my websites were/are for me and I've made all of the decisions as to names.

No, it doesn't work like like in forums or blogs. You can't build a forum or a blog without having a name for it. You can't wake up after promoting your forum with the name it came with and had members to join only for you to start a vote on having a new name. What you can put to a vote in your forum and it will look understandable is your forum logo. If you have like 3 logos available but not sure which one to use, your members can help you decide.

That's fair. Most sites I make the name myself. But I figured for one of my sites, I could get a vote on a name. We went with a list of name ideas and people voted on them. So I still sort of had control as they were still some of my ideas. But I have considered listening to peoples name ideas, because some can be quite creative.
No, it doesn't work like like in forums or blogs. You can't build a forum or a blog without having a name for it. You can't wake up after promoting your forum with the name it came with and had members to join only for you to start a vote on having a new name. What you can put to a vote in your forum and it will look understandable is your forum logo. If you have like 3 logos available but not sure which one to use, your members can help you decide.
Well I don't think anyone would start a forum/site without a name first. I am speaking of the stages before a site is even built, the planning stage essentially. At this stage is where someone could then ask their community (maybe they have multiple sites already up) for name ideas, and to maybe even vote on some. But I don't think anyone starts a website without a name. They may code and develop a site and all that, but I don't think it'd go live until it's fully ready and has a name.

That's fair. Most sites I make the name myself. But I figured for one of my sites, I could get a vote on a name. We went with a list of name ideas and people voted on them. So I still sort of had control as they were still some of my ideas. But I have considered listening to peoples name ideas, because some can be quite creative.

Well I don't think anyone would start a forum/site without a name first. I am speaking of the stages before a site is even built, the planning stage essentially. At this stage is where someone could then ask their community (maybe they have multiple sites already up) for name ideas, and to maybe even vote on some. But I don't think anyone starts a website without a name. They may code and develop a site and all that, but I don't think it'd go live until it's fully ready and has a name.
If it's in this case, I bet someone can try by asking his forum users to contribute in the name choosing. I have a better way which I believe can work better and it's making use of a survey to gather more opinion and not only new name for the forum.

Yes, allowing your community to choose a site's name can be a great idea in certain situations. It can develop a sense of ownership and engagement among the community members. This way, you are showing that you value their opinions and want them to be a part of the decision-making process.

If it's in this case, I bet someone can try by asking his forum users to contribute in the name choosing. I have a better way which I believe can work better and it's making use of a survey to gather more opinion and not only new name for the forum.

I think that i could decide the name of the website myself in case if i plan to create a website. I have, however, seen many people asking for a vote on their platforms where many users already exist. In the end, it is the personal choice of the owner to choose whatever name he likes.

I haven't had the need to change a name when a community is already formed. But I did ask a few friends before what name to pick out of a series ideas I had before. It's important to ask, as it gives you a different look on things.
It wouldn't work asking for opinions on your forum name when it's launched and members joined. Tampering with the forum name at that point will likely have a bad effect in how the forum users will see the whole thing.
Anything you do before the forum is launched won't be questioned because it's necessary at that point.

If I'm working with a group of people yes, we do randomly choose a site name we tend to pull together different names that are related with the project and decide on which one best suits what it is we're doing

Well, when I'm not convinced of the name of website that I'm building, I'm going to see what opinions others will have in their suggestions on names that I will like to consider. This is the only way I'm going to give people chance to vote on my forum name.

Newest Directory Listings

WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back