What's new

Dealing with spam

Pinto

Familiar Face
Dec 20, 2018
USD
$0.0000USD
Biznotes
Question for forum owners using Wordpress, how do you deal with spammers? what plugin or other methods do you use beside manual moderation?

I haven't used wordpress forums since it will be only for blogging and using such type of scripts are not recommended. Try Xenforo and you can maintain it easily.

I don't use WordPress for forums either - but I think backward questions are effective for any forum. For instance, you could ask something like: "What is the word bat spelled backward?".

There are lot of ways to control spam in forum scripts, but wordpress is built for only blogging not for other purposes. If you want ecommerce site then move to top ecommerce scripts instead of woo commerce.
BTW how it is working presently?

With automated systems, I usually have a question about a colour of a product during the registration process. But the problem is always dealing with humans that are spamming, it's important to deal with them quickly manually.

With wordpress i always set guest messages to be reviewed by an admin, though i know and heard there is a wide selection of spam plugins, i have used akismet which comes bundled with Wordpress and jetpack whichhas worked well for me but not all spam prevention stops everyone but we are getting better in fighting back.

I had to go with a captcha system for registrations as I was getting a large number of spam registrations. The moment I implemented it, I'm not getting any spam. And in terms of comments, I just manually approve everything

With wordpress i always set guest messages to be reviewed by an admin, though i know and heard there is a wide selection of spam plugins, i have used akismet which comes bundled with Wordpress and jetpack whichhas worked well for me but not all spam prevention stops everyone but we are getting better in fighting back.

Is Askimet paid - cause a free weaker version - though good enough - also exists?

I had to go with a captcha system for registrations as I was getting a large number of spam registrations. The moment I implemented it, I'm not getting any spam.

Probably captcha works. However, a weak form of captcha simply wasn't working for some forums I had (XenForo).

I forgot the name of the plug-in, but it was free and it was effective. Anyway, don't pay for spam protection unless it's absolutely certain you have to. Anyway, a lot of people go with Askimet, but it's premium, but I really don't need that program.

To be honest, there are many plugins and services to deal with spam.
It's just that, they will never guarantee 100% spam prevention. The same goes to premium tools as well. Anyway, I use Cloudflare to make sure that not just anyone can access my website.

Also, I try to install good plugins as well and recruit people who are online most of the time, as staff members. In that way, we can deal with spam effectively.

To be honest, there are many plugins and services to deal with spam.
It's just that, they will never guarantee 100% spam prevention. The same goes to premium tools as well. Anyway, I use Cloudflare to make sure that not just anyone can access my website.

Also, I try to install good plugins as well and recruit people who are online most of the time, as staff members. In that way, we can deal with spam effectively.
No, there is no 100 percent answer. Nonetheless, the free one I was using was good enough. I mean, everybody is always going to have to "clean house" a little on their own.

I find spam utterly tedious to deal with, even if it's just an account signup that gets through without actually posting anything. The problem I found with most countermeasures is that they would only do something once the account had been registered, it didn't prevent the registration from occurring.

With XenForo, there is a fairly new premium offering called the "Spaminator". It appears to be fairly simplistic in its design, but it has a really good track record of preventing automated signups before they complete, whilst not changing anything for humans.

With forums at least, a good way to keep the spam out is to ask what a word is spelled backward and make sure the word isn't too simple. For instance, you could ask, "What is the word mountain spelled backward?". Anyway, another method could be just asking a hard question, one bots cannot decipher.

I think you can try askimet or wp anti spam i think if you place a captcha on the site for people to solve before visiting the site then it's okay

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back