Team Manager
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Nov 4, 2020
USD
$18.1100USD
Biznotes
A new challenge for our loyal members:

Maybe one day, You may have wondered how several airlines provide Wi-Fi service to passengers despite the lack of a signal in the sky; how is this done?

200 Biznotes for the user who gave a full informative post without plagiarism (copier/paste from Google), and of course, the faster one will win if he explains well

Let's discover the genius members on Bizdustry and challenge each other. :love:

1632688981812.png

Lol, what a sensitive question you brought here, let me try to answer you genuinely.

Aeroplane have cables or antenna underneath, that enables it to connect to any nearby network as it travels. The antenna serves as a WiFi connection to the aeroplane, it can't be terminated because network connectivity flow through air as well, it can find satellite as it travels, which connects to the internet, and passengers access the web using the in-built WiFi connection of an aeroplane.

We should not forget that Airplanes are in constant communication with their control rooms, so the main question is how do they communicate, this method can be developed also to provide wifi services also.
From research, there are 3 main ways Airplanes are able to provide wifi services onboard. They are: Ka-band, Ku-band and Air to ground (ATG).
Both Ka-band and Ku-band use satellite services to provide internet while ATG use atennaes on the plane so that signals from land-based cell towers can be picked up.

For planes to make use of wifi in the air, airlines have to have access to land-based cell towers or a specific kind of satellite. This is what would help the plane connect to the internet.
There are lots of interior equipment needed in an airplane in order for its passengers to have WiFi services one of which I know about is the black boxes. There is usually an antenna connected at the top of the place. These is used as a satellite that uses a different frequency from normal cellular data, this also allows plans to connect to the internet even above water level.

First I can say that it is not easy for airlines to have -wifi and be stable, as according to my readings there are three ways for this to happen. The first one already mentioned by other members (Air To Ground) is to place a huge antenna under the plane, which will connect with those on the ground, we must remember that there are areas that have no internet service, therefore the signal is very unstable.
The second way is the one that was also explained (Ku and Ka bands) that allows better connectivity and is by means of satellites, it is in charge of connecting the airplane with an antenna to the ground.
The third method is very similar to the Ku and Ka bands, but the planes need special equipment, which is to place several black boxes (not the black box of the plane) that are connected by cables inside the plane, in this way each passenger will have WIFI connectivity through a conventional router.

They make use of antennas.

Some planes have antennas below the plane, attached to the belly.
Some have antennas attached to the top of the plane.

Some planes have both types of antennas while some planes have none of the two.

The antennas attached to the belly pick up their signals from towers that are on the ground. The downside is that not everywhere on earth has towers, like when you are flying over water or some mountainous regions. Some countries also restrict their connection so you won't get any wifi flying over them.

The antennas on top connect to satellites orbiting in space. Its said to be faster too but more expensive.

Air lines provide free WIFI for their passengers through two methods. The first is through in-flight broadbands connectivity. Air to ground (ATG) network where the plane connects with the closet ground-based tower. Downsides of this system include the limited spectrum and that is only works over or close to land (flying over sea and ocean can obviously cause connectivity issues).
The second is through an antenna on the plane which receives data through satellites in a geostationary orbit. Air passengers connect through an on-board router.

It's makes use of two connection systems known as Air - to - ground and satellite systems. The Air - to - ground system works just like how mobile network does with cell phones. With telecommunication towers that project network upwards like mobile data towards which does it in reverse (downwards).

With the antenna that's properly fitted underneath the aeroplane which receives the signals from the tower and send it to a server which its modem convert the signals into making Wi-Fi services available for the passengers on the aeroplane.

In the second system which is a satellite based Wi-Fi system, the antenna is fixed on top of the craft which connects and receives signal from the satellite. With proper adjusting of the antenna to always be connected to the satellite as both are in motion. The interchange of the signal between the satellite and antenna is sent to the ground station that are run by service providers.

Sorry guys, I had to read about the topic, since I was completely unaware of it.

I see that the answers are quite complete, and I think I can add it to that, apart from the fact that there are two types: one by land that is rare to see on long-distance trips because it is mostly on the sea. And the second, that it is by satellite. Is that this internet is quite limited.

Although the latter is the one that provides the best service, it has many restrictions, especially its connection speed (rarely 70 Mbps), which is why it is limited to a few functions, compared to the usual use that is usually given to it.

Are you in a competition of some sort somewhere and brought this assignment to us to help solve it? Well the motivation for the job is pretty Worth it though for those that will be up to it

To my own little opinion, the satellite will be installed on the space will the mask will be on the land that will serves as network for each other, then the antenna will be on the airline

I will keep saying that there are so much to learn here through the educative thread of some talented individuals. Of a truth I never knew that air plane provides free wifi to its pasengers. And there are so many opinion above on how this happens. I don't know how this works so I will be waiting for the creator of this thread to come and declare the winner. Thanks for sharing.

With satellite powered Wi-Fi, planes connect to the internet using an antenna mounted on top of the plane. Besides using a different frequency than cell towers, satellite-powered service also allows planes to provide faster service and can be used over water.

Yes it is a great point. But today's nothing is impossible to do .... There are two different systems for airplane internet connections. While over land, aircraft can communicate with the same wireless antennas that cell phone companies use to provide connections to their regular customer base. As cell phone standards have improved to include speeds fast enough for data connections, the ability to provide wifi to planes became possible. Current cell phone systems that are sufficient to include wifi conform to the 4G LTE standards.

First I can say that it is not easy for airlines to have -wifi and be stable, as according to my readings there are three ways for this to happen. The first one already mentioned by other members (Air To Ground) is to place a huge antenna under the plane, which will connect with those on the ground, we must remember that there are areas that have no internet service, therefore the signal is very unstable.
The second way is the one that was also explained (Ku and Ka bands) that allows better connectivity and is by means of satellites, it is in charge of connecting the airplane with an antenna to the ground.
The third method is very similar to the Ku and Ka bands, but the planes need special equipment, which is to place several black boxes (not the black box of the plane) that are connected by cables inside the plane, in this way each passenger will have WIFI connectivity through a conventional router.
yes i am agree that airline to have wifi is stable.and black boxes are also connected by cables inside the airplane.to connect wifi router convention.and huge antina under the ground.

yes i am agree that airline to have wifi is stable.and black boxes are also connected by cables inside the airplane.to connect wifi router convention.and huge antina under the ground.
Among so many things I have read this is one that caught my attention @Hafsa, I thought it was easier to have wifi on airplanes, but you see it is not easy, there are many implements to which we must add their high costs, to achieve it.

I think airplanes use ground networks with is directly connected to satellites that has GPS above the earth surface, to provide network to it passengers. When ever the airplane mode is switched on passengers can no longer use internet connections.

For planes to make use of wifi in the air, airlines have to have access to land-based cell towers or a specific kind of satellite. This is what would help the plane connect to the internet.
There are lots of interior equipment needed in an airplane in order for its passengers to have WiFi services one of which I know about is the black boxes. There is usually an antenna connected at the top of the place

There are two ways that airlines offer their customers free WiFi.
In-flight broadband connectivity is the first method.
The plane connects to the closest ground-based tower through an air to ground (ATG) network.
The system's limitations in spectrum and the fact that it only operates over or adjacent to land are its drawbacks (flying over sea and ocean can obviously cause connectivity issues).

The second method involves using a plane's antenna to receive data from satellites in geostationary orbit.
Through an on-board router, people in flight can connect.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back