What's new

Could you use old work computers to mine?

Grant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Oct 27, 2020
USD
$134.3000USD
Biznotes
I have a bunch of old PCs lying around my house after an old job, and they're essentially being used for nothing at this time. I figure I could set them all up to mine bitcoin and other cryptocurrency. I could probably buy a cheap gpu to help speed it up a bit. Is something like this possible? How much would I stand to make if I had, say 10 PCs mining?

Maybe 1000 hash per week, but I can only advice you to get standard equipment to mine and with 10 computers, it is best to start with Tron or another smaller coin.

But if you only want to focus on bitcoin, then it's going to take a long time to mine 1000 satoshi...just like faucet site

here is a better idea, sell them all and buy a decent machine ( or build it if you have the knowledge for that ), then start mining it, you will make even more than using them all together

Old computer will also require hashpower, electricity and data, problem is same, only thing is that if computer is old. Better use some other device to mine, or use old pc to only mine small coins.

I have a bunch of old PCs lying around my house after an old job, and they're essentially being used for nothing at this time. I figure I could set them all up to mine bitcoin and other cryptocurrency. I could probably buy a cheap gpu to help speed it up a bit. Is something like this possible? How much would I stand to make if I had, say 10 PCs mining?
Five gpu if u would stand then u can utilizes ur good setup by using your pc's.and get double profit.now think on it and let's start

Absolutely, a friend I met on telegram, Jam, told us how he has used 3 of his old systems to set up mining nodes and they are working very well.
You can try it and put those gadgets to a good use.

Old computer will also require hashpower, electricity and data, problem is same, only thing is that if computer is old. Better use some other device to mine, or use old pc to only mine small coins.
especially that older hardware is known for less efficiency than modern one, it's going to consume more power for sure than any modern CPU or GPU you can buy in 2020

Of course you can start mining but the hash rate would depend on the processor power of your computer. If you wish to start mining the currency, I wouldn't advise you to mine bitcoins because it wouldn't be profitable at all, instead consider mining monero, zcash or ethereum.

I think first of all you need to know how good their specifications are , so that you will be able to determine if you can actually use them to mine . Secondly , you should consider power demand in mining

No you shouldn't try it as youl just be basically wasting your time. I saw a picture on the net today of the type of computers the experienced miners use and it was quite huge. Your old rickety pc will be competing against such super computers , you know what the outcome will be.

No , it's not worth it , mining requires intensive machinery with components that are focused to certain tasks (basically to gather hashes and generate and solve) that a normal processor wouldn't be able to do that fast , and possibly , it'd be fried half way .
Now all that being said , there isn't much to mine nowadays and it's quite rare to collect some goodies out by yourself so I'd say it's a waste of time

It depends on how old your PCs are. There is a website for calculating how much you could mine with your PCs taking into consideration the price of the electricity in your place, I can't remember the website but you can find it easily in google. I have a pc that is around 10 years old and it would be pointless to mine on it because it will take up more electricity than what it can mine. So that would result in a loss of time and money.

No you can't.

Or then again rather, you can, however you will spend more power than you will get in Mining rewards, even at a somewhat low power cost.

Home PCs haven't been utilized to dig Bitcoin for well more than 6-7 years. Also, even than, just the freshest top performing home PCs could manage the work.

Years ago I have used my old computer for mining and I have mined some Bitcoin. But I'm talking about 7 or 8 years ago! From 5 years ago to day I tried to mine using the same old computer nothing happens it is not able to mine. So now the things changed not any computer is apt to mine.

Well you need to upgrade those old computer to new ones that can better do the job because the job of mining Bitcoin or any cryptocurrencies at all is a cumbersome process that requires alot of electricity and mining power.

If it's pays please go ahead and mine from it, personally I have tried mining with computer before and I don't even know how to mine it, maybe you can try it and relate the experience with us ok? Let's enjoy with you, cos it brings joy when you learn a new method of making money, yes it makes me happy

Actually I have a friend who uses twelve laptops but old and new but he doesn’t know how to mine with it but with my new system I thought him how to mine and he loves it that he even appreciate me each time he sees me ,my advise is to use new system

While it was initially possible to use laptops and desktops to mine Bitcoin, the increasing mining complexity as well as the emergence of Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASICs) software specifically created for bitcoin mining has rendered it all but impossible to use old computers to profitably mine Bitcoin at home mining.

you can use old PCs to mine smaller pennies. for something bigger and better, you need a high-performance PC because mining requires a lot of resources and I don't think those PCs will cope and you will have more problems ...

Oh well, it looks like I am not fit to do some mining of Bitcoin. From the comments that I have read in this thread and in other threads as well, you need a powerful computer to do mining of Bitcoin. It is a shame that I am using an old pentium computer that is running on Windows XP. For sure you will laugh but it is true. My good old desktop is what I am using for my daily sojourn in the internet to work and earn.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back