What's new

Are you worried physical games will become unplayable?

Grant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
5000+ Posts Club
Oct 27, 2020
USD
$134.3000USD
Biznotes
Physical games will one day become unplayable, well mostly when it comes to disc based games like cds, dvd, blu-rays etc. Cart based games will eventually become unplayable, but it will take a lot longer than cds and other disc based media. The reason why is due to disc rot. CDs for example suffer from disc rot within 20 years or so of being out. I think most music albums on disc, will last around 20-30 years before disc rot becomes a problem.

For those who don't know, disc rot is essentially the discs data side degrading over time. You'll notice that some discs may have blots on the disc, and kinda look cloudy and have blotches kinda looking as if the disc is wet or has water damage. If that's the case, it's probably disc rot and that disc wont work as it was intended. And may no longer work at all.

I think the only way to save your disc based media is to make sure it's in the case, away from a lot of humidity and heat. I think if it's in a room that is room temperature, they will survive a lot better.

But, the inevitable truth is that all disc based media will fall to disc rot. There's really no stopping it aside from game preservation online.

I will admit that I am worried that physical games will eventually become unplayable and I feel that is why now, I tend to buy all my games digitally when I can so that I know what I am buying I will never lose access to. I still have quite a lot of games that are physical but I know in time, they will soon rot and I will end up with them being useless.

I will more than likely consider buying all games going forward digitally just because of this worry now, especially if there are places on the internet that are trustworthy and also offer great deals on games.

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back