What's new

Allowing editing/deleting of posts by members?

You have choice to have either option but for quality and management I agree with your views as members shouldn't delete posts and can edit until certain time so it maintain the forum structure otherwise it will create problems.

I feel it's not good for forum to allow members to delete their posts whenever they like. Theh should be allowed to edit their post though, in case they make a mistake.

I have been in some forums that never allow members the privilege to delete their posts for any reason whatsoever. The members are only allowed to edit their posts for 15 minutes after they are made and after that, they can't edit it again but only report it for a moderator to attend to it. While some forums allows members to delete their posts whenever they want which is something that's not good for the forum in my opinion.
One thing that I really like about Bizdustry is that they allow members to edit and delete their posts, provided that they have a legitimate reason. Other forums do not do this, and this gives credence to your assertion.

I think it depends on the forum you run. I think it's fine to allow people to edit their posts in most subjects, but if it's a serious topic like a debate, I think I'd make it where you can't edit a post for too long after, maybe 15 min like someone said or maybe even 30 min. I think giving them some time to be able to edit their posts is fine. And as long as it shows it was previously edited, that is a good thing too, it at least shows something was changed.

What I don't like is when forums allow you to edit, but it doesn't say when a user edited it.

I think that the members should be allowed to edit and modify the content. This is because of the fact that we all can make mistakes and we should be given the opportunity to correct our mistakes.
I think it depends on the forum you run. I think it's fine to allow people to edit their posts in most subjects, but if it's a serious topic like a debate, I think I'd make it where you can't edit a post for too long after, maybe 15 min like someone said or maybe even 30 min. I think giving them some time to be able to edit their posts is fine. And as long as it shows it was previously edited, that is a good thing too, it at least shows something was changed.

What I don't like is when forums allow you to edit, but it doesn't say when a user edited it.

Well, in my opinion, I am supporting the members should allow the use of deleting post due to error that may occur in the process of typing or organizing. However, this allows members to be professional in their work and also make changes for whatever error that may occur unknown.

In my experience, if you allow members to edit and delete their posts, some of them will abuse this feature. I don't allow deleting, however, I allow editing for a certain time, for example within 5 minutes of posting.

Newest Directory Listings

momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
ExplorerEvan
Forums
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Clicks
Views
Comments
Reviews
ForumExplorers.com is a free discussion board with topics and conversations for everyone. Camp, chill, and cook s'mores with forum friends. We would love to see you!
Back