What's new

5 Easy ways to get and retain more out of the Books You Read.

1626885606509.png
Well, I didn’t like reading when I was young. Back then, you would find people reading almost everywhere, be it on the train, coffee shop, mall, queues etc. Unlike today, when people spend more time on their phones.

Since reading books was the thing to do at the time, I had to change my attitude towards the book. Also, my parents had a bunch of books and dailies that I could not resist reading back then. That marked the development of my reading culture. With time, I developed an interest in non-fictional books and autobiography. My interest in these two genres was so deep that I unconsciously developed some skills or routines that would help me absorb much from the books I read.

Recently, am reading thrice as many books as I was reading back then. But it is important to note that, how many books you read I not as important as how much you absorb from the book you read. Very few people will have a strategy before they start reading a book. I had to develop my own strategy to help me retain the most from any book I read.

These strategies include:

1. Having a purpose for reading the book – before I pick a book from the books shelf, or order for it online, I love establishing my purpose for the book. I like listing (either mentally or on paper) what I would wish to achieve from the next book that I want to read. Doing this helps me to first of all select the right book for my goal. And secondly, it helps me in comprehending the content of the book because it is something I have anticipated.

2.Imagine yourself narrating the story to others – the wisdom you gain from books will only manifest itself and be useful to you if you use it or apply it in real life. When you share or teach someone else something that you have learnt and understood perfectly, you end up understanding the content of the book even more. Reading and narrating to others will help you have a shift in mindset that allows you to better internalize the content of the book.

3. Try to visualize and picture the scenes – I usually remember a book better when I put myself in the scenes. For example, for fictional books, I would pick a character I love and picture myself as that character. That way,

4. Summarize the book as you read – Another good practice that I developed is to take notes while reading the book. This should be done in a way that will not derail you from following the storyline. Writing will help you retain much of what you read. More so, if you review what you have written afterwards, you will notice that you will be able to remember most of what you have just read.

5. Read and Re-read the book – Just like watching a movie or a TV show for the first time, you will miss a lot of things. I noticed that when I read a book or watch a movie or TV show for the second time, I realize many scenes or aspects of the movie that I had missed when I watched it the first time. Also, reading a book the second time help you to connect scenes that you wouldn’t have linked in the first instance.

No1 is very important, when reading a book because you have a reason too, it makes you alittle more attentive that normal. Because there is something you Are looking for, based on that you would want to take in every details as you go through the book.

In other words we are trying to figure out ways to read books and remember what we read or put them into practice. We should do it with our heart and might.

This is really a piece of advice from you. I think I will need to adopt some of this strategy as well to atleast keep more of the books I'm reading in my memory and make good use of it properly

View attachment 2509
Well, I didn’t like reading when I was young. Back then, you would find people reading almost everywhere, be it on the train, coffee shop, mall, queues etc. Unlike today, when people spend more time on their phones.

Since reading books was the thing to do at the time, I had to change my attitude towards the book. Also, my parents had a bunch of books and dailies that I could not resist reading back then. That marked the development of my reading culture. With time, I developed an interest in non-fictional books and autobiography. My interest in these two genres was so deep that I unconsciously developed some skills or routines that would help me absorb much from the books I read.

Recently, am reading thrice as many books as I was reading back then. But it is important to note that, how many books you read I not as important as how much you absorb from the book you read. Very few people will have a strategy before they start reading a book. I had to develop my own strategy to help me retain the most from any book I read.

1. Having a purpose for reading the book – before I pick a book from the books shelf, or order for it online, I love establishing my purpose for the book. I like listing (either mentally or on paper) what I would wish to achieve from the next book that I want to read. Doing this helps me to first of all select the right book for my goal. And secondly, it helps me in comprehending the content of the book because it is something I have anticipated.

2.Imagine yourself narrating the story to others – the wisdom you gain from books will only manifest itself and be useful to you if you use it or apply it in real life. When you share or teach someone else something that you have learnt and understood perfectly, you end up understanding the content of the book even more. Reading and narrating to others will help you have a shift in mindset that allows you to better internalize the content of the book.

3. Try to visualize and picture the scenes – I usually remember a book better when I put myself in the scenes. For example, for fictional books, I would pick a character I love and picture myself as that character. That way,

4. Summarize the book as you read – Another good practice that I developed is to take notes while reading the book. This should be done in a way that will not derail you from following the storyline. Writing will help you retain much of what you read. More so, if you review what you have written afterwards, you will notice that you will be able to remember most of what you have just read.

5. Read and Re-read the book – Just like watching a movie or a TV show for the first time, you will miss a lot of things. I noticed that when I read a book or watch a movie or TV show for the second time, I realize many scenes or aspects of the movie that I had missed when I watched it the first time. Also, reading a book the second time help you to connect scenes that you wouldn’t have linked in the first instance.
Before even reading a book , you must have a purpose for reading the book in the first place, and secondly there are some books I read and i find it amusing to narrate the entire book to people , and lastly as you are reading I normally visualise and picture the scene.
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 2509

Before even reading a book , you must have a purpose for reading the book in the first place, and secondly there are some books I read and i find it amusing to narrate the entire book to people , and lastly as you are reading I normally visualise and picture the scene.

Nothing makes a book more interesting than reading and re-reading it. With each read a new point is gained. I've read The Richest Man In Babylon multiple times but I still feel a particular kind of joy whenever I'm opportune to read it again because I always have that excitement that I'll be learning something new yet again.

Thanks Alexander. I think we all should not be interested in every book we find on shelves. Some books are just worth reading again and again. It's taste different with different situations we are in.
View attachment 2509

I like that step number two and the last one. Anytime I really book I will make sure that explain it to someone of similar mind. Also I reread the book just to retain some of the valuable lessons I learnt from the books.

Sometimes form one to actually gain the full knowledge and see the whole picture in a book he is reading, it is important to read and reread these books over and over again to get the whole picture

I like your ideas. I could remember in 2019 and 2020 when I used to read books online and review them, it was a memorable time. I always pictured myself in the place of the character and it brought more life and meaning.
Sadly, I haven't read a single book this year

whenever a person wants to read a book he should have a purpose why he wants to read that book.What should be at the back of your mind should be what would i be able to gain after reading this book.I used to be like that before this time,just to have that feel that i too is reading book,thought i do gain some facts from such books,but not to the optimum.This time around i look out for books that would be beneficial to me personally or on what i am diong.

When I was young I read a lot of books including fictions, poetry, biographies, travelogue, etc. I read for information, knowledge and entertainment. These days, I only read non-fiction because I just do not have time to read for entertainment. I read to enhance my knowledge.

These days I do not have spare time to read extra books, I only read text books and additional reading for my course. If you are interested on the topic, you will understand the book easily.

This is a really a good way on how to get purpose for reading a book. Just like for example imagine seeing yourself narrating the book to someone will make you take the book serious just because you wont want to fumble

I remember back then in secondary school ,I was told to stop reading some books since am going to be in science class but I couldn't stop because I kept learning new words ..

I love fictional books, but I read anything. One thing that helps me is the environment. If I find somewhere that is tuned into nature, I can read for long and will remember a lot of what I read.

What can I say to the above write-up? Wow! Well researched and well presented. I like number 1 so much. This is because one having a purpose for reading a particular book makes one give all attention to it to know if he or she has achieved the purpose or not. It is just my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

One of the fastest way to retain what you read in a book is to put it into practice. then you should apply it continuously to become part of you. Action brings about memory.

I don't enjoy reading especially hard copies. At some point I discovered I remember things easily if I read them online. What I do to help myself retain things after reading is
I download soft copies of the material
Read it when I'm alone
Avoid all forms of distraction
I note down important things while reading
I try to share the knowledge with a friend. It helps

Newest Directory Listings

Shortie
Forums
Clicks
Views
WWE Hub is a discussion forum for all things wrestling! Share and chat with other wrestling fans throughout the world!
momode
Forums
Clicks
Views
ABCProxy is cost-effective, ethical residential proxies network!
coderway
Forums
Clicks
Views
AI digital artwork generator
Back